Patterned cracking in the paint film resembling an alligator's scales. Cracks mat affect only a single layour of paint and may not reach the surface.
May begin as slight cracking or "checking" and can eventually grow wider and deeper, breaking through top and bottom coats. Noticeable wide breaks can appear over the entire surface in the worst cases.
- Inability of the top coat to bond smoothly to a glossy finish.
- Applying an extremely hard, rigid coating ( i.e., oil-based paint) over a more flexible coating.
- Natural aging of oil-based paints in extreme climates, when subjected to continuous freezing and thawing, which results in loss of paint elasticity.
- Applying another coat before the previous coat has dried.
- Applying too much paint per coat.
- Scrape or sand old-paint down to the bare surface or use a chemical paint remover. Dust masks or respirators and eye protection are recommended for safety. If using liquid removers, be sure to wear long sleeves and protective gloves.
- Remove all dust and allow the surface to dry completely before layering coats.
- Prime the surface with a high quality latex primer and let it dry completely.
- Apply a high-quality paint in the desired finish.
PAINT A BRIGHTER DAY
ABOUT FLORIDA PAINTS.
Founded by brothers Don Strube, Jr., and Rick Strube, Florida Paints is ready to help you paint a brighter day with paint made specifically for Florida...in Florida.
CONTACT OUR CORPORATE OFFICE.
© 2016 Florida Paints. All rights reserved